Friday, July 1, 2011

Extend govt jobs to this group, too




2011/06/30

I REFER to the recent statement by the prime minister that the private sector has five years to ensure that women make up at least 30 per cent of people in decision-making positions.
I support the view that women with excellent track record should be given the opportunity to fill high-ranking positions.

As much as I am happy to hear this, I can't help but wonder what has happened to the government's vision to allocate one per cent of job opportunities to the disabled in the public sector.

That announcement was made years ago. I have yet to see any campaign or follow-up plans to achieve this.
How about a timeline to achieve the one per cent quota?

I hope the ministry concerned will take proactive steps to ensure that job opportunities are also given to the disabled. I hope the minister will set a time frame and work to ensure that the quota is met.

Given a chance, I believe the disabled community will be a driving force in increasing the productivity of the nation.

V. MURUGESWARAN, president,Damai Disabled Persons Association Selangor & Wilayah Persekutuan, Petaling Jaya, Selangor

No comments: